Search This Blog

Monday 21 October 2013

Now for a quick update on my most recent thing in the workshop. I'm only doing this now as I'm waiting for pay day to arrive so I can afford some more self levelling compound for the floor. I need to sort the floor and paint it before I can arrange the shelves. Once that's done I can clear the loft. Then I can finish the wiring. Then I can tile the corner above the sink. And then, finally, I might actually get back to the Sprite.

Maybe.

But I digress.

The first photo I put up was of the cleaned up static jaw body of a Record Autovice 74, or just Record 74 as the later ones have cast on them. The first I have is the later type and I have an early one on the way. Ah, Ebay to my rescue yet again.

When the vice first turned up it looked like this, not too bad but it could be better. And since I can't do much in the garage right now, I may as well take it apart and clean it.



So this is the same vice broken down to its components, and then sat next to it's big brother a Record 75. Which is a big heavy lump of a vice. But bomb proof and considerably older than I am, and I'm thirty now.




The vice is currently in bits, being cleaned back to bare castings so I can etch prime the entire thing before giving it a new coat of red enamel. There's virtually no slop on the screw thread so all I need to do is get some new jaws and their screws once it's painted and it'll be good to go. And then I get to do it all again for the second one just so I can have a matching pair on my planned workbench!

No comments:

Post a Comment