Search This Blog

Monday 21 October 2013

As promised yesterday, here's a brief overview of what I've been up to of late and where I am with it all.

I suppose the most sensible place to start is with the workshop itself. We moved to our new house back in December last year. The house is much bigger than our old place as I had the misfortune to be diagnosed with malignant melanoma, an aggressive form of skin cancer. I am very, very glad to say that I am 18 months clear of this now, so hopefully I'll just be left with some cool scars. They'd be cooler if the story behind them was a bit more of the gun fighting action man type, but beggars can't be choosers. This was the scaring a few days after I left hospital.



Either way, my critical illness insurance paid out, cleared the mortgage and left me with a little to play with. So we did the sensible thing and looked at moving to a bigger house with a new mortgage! There was also the tiny matter of our son, Noah, being born to consider as well and we wanted to give him a big garden to run about in. The old place was a good starter home and we'd done a lot of work to it, but it was time to move to somewhere bigger and in a nicer village. My only condition on moving was that the house either came with a bigger garage or had the space to allow me to build one.

The new house had this when we moved in on the Friday:







And by the end of the Wednesday it looked like this:






I didn't want to waste any time as I knew the weather would turn at some point and halt any work. So a few months go past, a lot of materials turn up and a lot of sweat goes into my first ever building project. Thankfully, I think it turned out OK:





The inside still isn't finished as I have been rather busy at work recently, but it's almost there. The lighting's done, the wiring's almost finished and I've just got a final coat of self-levelling compound to go down on the floor and then I can finally put all my shelving up and get the place organised. It'll be good to have it all done so I can start making a mess again and get back to working on my Sprite.

No comments:

Post a Comment